When you were little, did you ever imagine meeting your favorite sports idol? Or, did you ever picture yourself competing in some big event in front of a large crowd and winning? I can remember being in high school and Evelyn Ashford (sprinter) was my idol. It’s odd to think that this person is still alive but had no idea she inspired a young, white girl living in a small town in the Midwest. It might be fun for you to reflect on the questions below and write answers.
Athletes can answer the 30 questions on their own or coaches can turn some of these questions into a great team building activity. For example, teammates could answer chosen questions and post the answers on a huge wall in the locker room and guess which teammate gave the answer. Or teams could choose their favorite quote or mantra based on everyone giving an option and this could be their inspiration for the season. Have some fun as you take a moment to reflect.
Questions to Consider
- Who is your favorite sports hero?
- What are three reasons you like being part of a team sport?
- What is the best part about competing?
- How do your teammates make practice fun?
- What is your favorite sports quote?
- What emotions do you feel when you play well?
- Who do you wish was watching you perform at every game or match?
- What is your favorite song to listen to prior to competing?
- What is your favorite movie about sports?
- Where do you feel confident in your body?
Confidence is something we normally think of as a mental state. But many athletes actually display confidence in how they handle their body or feel it in their body. You might recall someone who stared and looked tough or someone who stood tall and had a swagger when she walked. How do you show your confidence?
- What qualities make a teammate a good team captain?
- How does being an athlete make you a better person?
- What is the one thing you always do after a good performance?
- What do you do to calm your butterflies while you compete?
- If you could play another sport what would it be?
- What age were you when you started your sport?
- Do you have a plan to help you get to your best-focused state?
- What is your favorite food to eat the night before a big competition?
- Do you use visual cues of your environment to help you focus?
- Who inspired you as a young athlete?
- What one word describes you?
- Who was your favorite coach and why?
- What do you give up to play sports?
- What is your favorite place to compete?
- What mental tool do you use under pressure?
- What is your favorite mantra?
- Do you think attitude is a factor in winning?
- What image gets you ready to compete?
- How does being an athlete inspire you to do good?
- How does athletics make you a better student or worker?
If you answer these questions on your own then keep a record of them. Come back to it at the beginning of a new season and discover if you have the same or different answers.